What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word “hemp?”
For me, the first thing that comes to mind is bracelets made of rope-like material, incense, hippies, and marijuana. Yet, when we go to the health food store, “hemp” is showing up everywhere in the form of milk, seeds, protein powder, and oil, and it is praised for it’s health benefits.
Foods Alive, a local company that offers a variety of whole food products including raw flax seed crackers, flax and hemp oils, super food dressings, and an organic line of super foods, sent me a package of hemp seeds to experiment with in the kitchen.
- High protein seeds
- Easily digested
- Contain all 9 essential amino acids
- Strengthen the immune system
- More essential fatty acids than flax or any other nut or seed oil (which are important for hair, skin, brain function, the heart, and so much more!)
- They have the perfect ratio of omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids (about 3:1)
- They won’t make you fail a drug test (they don’t contain THC)
Nutiva.com has a great answer as to how hemp is different from marijuana:
Q. What is the difference between hemp and marijuana?
A. Marijuana and hemp both come from the same species of plant, Cannabis sativa L., but from different varieties. There are different varieties of Cannabis, just as Chihuahuas and St. Bernards are different breeds of dogs, Canis familiari.
Hemp Nutrition Stats (based on 2 Tbsp serving):
This morning, I added it to my overnight oats to get some healthy fat and protein into the mixture.
Hemp Protein Oats
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Fage Total 0%
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 Tbsp Foods Alive Hulled Raw Hemp Seed
I mixed everything together and let it sit and thicken up in the refrigerator. When everything was nice and creamy, I removed the oat mixture from the fridge and added one cup of blueberries to the mixture.
The mixture was delicious. The hemp seeds are soft on their own, but they added just a slight nutty crunchy texture to the otherwise smooth oat mixture.
Keep a look out for more recipes featuring this amazing super food!
What new foods have you tried lately!?