When prepping food for the week, I usually like to bake something that is easy for Brian to eat as he runs out the door in the morning to the dental clinic.
This week, I was in the mood for a little red, white, and blue in honor of the 4th of July holiday this past Wednesday…so blueberry muffins it was.
In this recipe, I use white whole wheat flour, which has a less dense texture than regular whole wheat flour (and keeps the fact that they are healthy a secret!) I also substitute Greek yogurt, and applesauce for the majority of the oil to lessen the fat content, provide an extra burst of moistness and protein. Enjoy!
Secretly Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup almond milk or skim milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Ingredients for crumb topping: 1 cup white sugar, 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup cubed butter, 3 tsp cinnamon
- The eating plan is fine, I am eating 6 small meals a day. My biggest problem is that packing for the next day takes a long time, and I snack too much while packing for the next day. My plan to help with these problems?? I have started prepping lots of my meals on Sunday, and I will whiten my teeth while I prepare my meals for the next day. 😉
- Energy levels are pretty normal, considering I have been lacking on sleep lately. My plan for this problem…try to get to bed earlier and truly shut my brain down.
- How I feel about my body….I think it looks the same since it has only been a week, but the scale has gone down a tad, which probably just had to do with the time of day I weighed myself (so many things affect your weight!)
- Overall: I feel good, and ready to kick this program’s little butt!
Why Did I Join Cathy Savage Fitness
Some of you have asked why exactly I have started this program because I already enjoy eating healthy foods, I workout all the time because I enjoy it, and I am not trying to lose weight. Those are all very valid points, but I promise that I have a method to my madness.
- I have a very round and soft physique. I always have. I am ok with that, but I would like to attempt to have more muscle tone and definition. In slang terms….I want to be “cut.”
- I am very interested in nutrition, and I have done a lot of self research and reading on how nutrition truly effects the way the body looks (you are what you eat). I am interested to see how these little changes that I am making my nutrition are going to effect my body’s appearance and performance. When it comes to nutrition, everything makes a difference, and you really have to get specific…even the timing of when you eat what matters when you are trying to sculpt your body.
- I am always looking for a new challenge, and I think that this is going to be a good, educational, fun, tough challenge for me.
- If it is at all possible, I would like to compete in at least one body building competition next year. Now, there are several different kinds of body building for women, and I would probably compete in the division that is the least muscular and the most feminine looking. What can I say… I love to compete, and I love to challenge myself!! I at least have to give it a try.
- Many people ask me questions about health, nutrition, and fitness. I have answers to a lot of things because of my personal training education and background, personal experiences, and a lot of self-research…but I have questions too! With the Cathy Savage program, I have my very own health coach that I can do all of the asking to, which is one aspect that I absolutely love! I love asking questions and I love getting answers.